The fields is my favorite rifle to take to the range. I have 20 cartrdiges for it. I made a full size charging elephant head on target, with the kill zone marked with a circle that can't be seen until you go up to the target. Everybody gets to shoot one shot at 30 yards; step up to the line, bring up the rifle and shoot. No wait, no leisurly aiming, it's shoot now or the elephant will be stomping on you. Closest to the kill zone wins. Usually use 5 to 10 rounds, take them home and reload for next week, print a new sheet to cover up the holes and ready to go again. The rifle has a very pitted bore, but shoots 1 1/2 inch groups at 30 yards, an inch right and 2 high. I'm amazed at how many people miss the target entirely under the conditions we fire. After seeing that long cartridge go into the breech and feeling the light weight, they're so afraid of the recoil that they close their eyes, jerk the trigger and miss. It's quite mild, really, use a 365 grain gas check lead bullet and a little over 100 grains of 2f black. Velocity is very high for black, I cronographed it and it runs about 1675 fps.

dave

Last edited by ssdave; 03/06/12.