Don't let a stranger that you're helping touch any of your gear. Two things happened here:

a. This guy shot an elk and had "back problems" so when I went up to just help him gut and quarter he suddenly couldn't carry anything. You guessed it, I carried out that stupid mother@$*@)'s elk for him. (Of course, he was probably telling his buddies at home that he got some stupid mother@)$*@@ to carry his elk out for him.) Anyway, I wanted him to contribute in even a small way, so I strapped the head onto my packboard and made him carry it - small raghorn 3 point - while I continued to work on cutting up the rest of the elk. He swore it was over 80 pounds (probably 30 pounds TOPS), started across a hillside and did a HUGE flop bouncing down through the timber with MY packboard attached to him. And I mean he was yardsaleing with all his gear ripping off. I guess that was kind of gratifying but I wish he didn't have my pack on when he did it.

b. Got the last quarter back to his pickup and was going back to retrieve his pack and left my packboard there. His wife was in the pickup and, being helpful, decided to try to get the blood off of it (it's a packboard and it's SUPPOSED to have blood on it.) She disassembled it in such a way that it took me two hours to get it right again. She was annoying but ingenious, I guess.

Honest to God, the guy sounded like Elmer Fudd when he talked, as well. Lazy, uncoordinated, a braggert, horrible stutter - someone probably should have put the brakes on when they were issuing hunter's ed cards. But he did have a kind, well-meaning wife (uglier than sin, though)

Last edited by halflife65; 03/09/12.