Most do not consider this a handgun - more of a hand cannon - but I have killed an elk at 200 yards with a Thompson Center handgun in .30 Cooper Express with a 150 grain TSX. The barrel is 15 inches and I shot off a Harris Bipod stuck firmly in a Wyoming snow bank.

I first glassed a high windswept ridge from a BLM road and spotted a small group of elk bedded below the ridge. I drove around the other side of the ridge and parked. After climbing for 2 hours I came to the same ridge and began to slowly peak over the ridge top. I moved into the wind three more times easing my way down the ridge. I peaked over the top and they were bedded 80 yards away. I eased the bipod into the snow bank and lined up on the lead cow bedded below. I squeezed off the trigger and missed high. The small herd took off to the left and stopped about 200 yards away unsure of the direction the danger came from. I scramled along the top of the ridge in knee deep snow until I had a good site picture again. The elk were slowly milling around as the high clouds swirled around with the sun shining brightly. The scene seemed almost surreal. I reset the bipod and lined up the the lead cow again. As I squeezed off the shot at 200 yards I heard a loud "swack" and the cow started tumbling down the ridge.

A memorable moment. The TC single shot hand gun is more of like a rifle if you can get a good rest.