Originally Posted by RDW
What are the advantages for a hunting weight rifle between, bare weight of 6-8 lbs?

Each of us must define what we want out of a so called "custom".

The word custom gets thrown around by all of us and can mean different things.

I would like to learn what 'custom' actions are indeed optimum for such a hunting rifle.

When it comes to a lighter hunting weight rifle I want certain features like CRF, a M70 type safety, and a well attached bolt handle etc. I also want a artful or good looking action.

What turns me off is the mantra on some forums that start with some cheap pushfeed action with a brazed on bolt handle. If you say something they tell a story that their daddy shot a buck with one in 1954 and that they shoot small groups!

I do welcome threads that point to how to get a desirable action and not have to pay Dakota prices.

Some point out that a so called custom may be so tight as to not function in the rough. Others are somehow impressed because their 700 bolt travel is 'smooth'.

So it goes.

I have a Brno 22F up here next to me at the computer. Its as neat looking as can be (to me) with its full stock and DST's. I am practicing with its added on M70 safety and DST's on how to use it quick for woods use. It's not a custom but I like it. smile

To each his own.

Some rifles at a show:
[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!