For you stove aficionados what are your thoughts on the "gas mileage" between the Pocket Rocket and Whisperlite.

Two 8 oz canisters of MSR gas with the PR is about 1/2 lb lighter than the whisperlite with a 20 oz bottle of white gas.

According to MSR's site, 20 oz of white gas will burn approximately 136 minutes with the WL vs 60 minutes per canister with the PR. However...
The PR will boil one liter of water in 3.5 minutes vs 3.9 minutes and will boil two liters of water per 1 oz of fuel vs 1.5 liters. (Realizing of course, these are MSR's numbers and probably a bit optimistic)

So it would seem that while similar, the advantage would to the PR and gas canisters as far as overall efficiency. The 1/2 pound savings in weight would seem like the deal breaker on a backpack hunt.
The only advantage I see to the Whisperlite would be the 20 oz bottle of fuel is slimmer and not as bulky as two 8 oz gas canisters, and the white gas is more available in remote areas.

I realize there are other considerations too such as low temperatures, altitude, application, etc., but it just seems to me the Pocket Rocket is the overall winner in simplicity, ease of use, maintenance and fuel consumption vs boil volume.

Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com