Originally Posted by BBerg
I load my 22-250

What about using a Magnum Primer... anybody uses them?

Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. I've had some guns that couldn't care less what primer I loaded with and some others that were hyper fussy. You've got to shoot each gun, starting with a clean mental slate, to find out what it likes. Any preconceived notion will be wrong sometimes.

.22-250 case is small enough that you don't necessarily need a magnum primer even with spherical powders. However, you may get better accuracy with a magnum primer with either spherical or cylindrical powders if they just happen to tweak the burn characteristics right for your gun.

I had one uber-fussy Rem 700 LVSF .22-250 which required exact components: WW brass, Fed 210M primers, 37.5 grains of Varget, and either a 50 grain SPSX hornady or 50 grain TNT Speer. Those are the only two bullets that ever broke under 1.5 MOA in that gun and with those loads, it'd shoot in the .2s. "Go figure."

Another didn't really care, it shot most anything reasonably well, didn't matter what components, just work up near max, 'til the primers began to look scary, make sure the bolt lift was ok, and shoot the hell out of it.

Gotta know your own gun. There's no way to tell from one .22-250 to another what's going to work best.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...