Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Because
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Given the number of .270's out there it's kind of a head scratcher to be honest why it's taken so long.

Because there are maybe (a big maybe) 1 in 100 hunters that have even the faintest idea of how to shoot past 200 yards. From what I've seen of the those who actively hunt, it's more like 1 in 500, or 1 in a 1,000.

Form-not sure where you live or hunt but where I'm from it'd be a grave mistake to bet against the vast majority of the hunters past 200 yds. Sure, past 400 people get a bit wonky. But, day in and day out I can't say it'd be tough to find a good game shot around here that can go a lot longer than 200 with ease and then some!

I've worked the our ranges sight in days and far and away the people are more than capable with a gun.

And, with proper coaching it aint no bigga casa grande to get people ready to hot game to 400 under the right conditions and with the right set ups and proper training.

Just what I've observed in my part of the world.

Dober

Mark is right on target--

Out here in God's country, 375-400 yard shots are something that alot of hunters can do--on demand--on big game animals.

However, more than just a few others can do the same on yodel dogs--a much tougher target. My old friend Savage could regularly whack 'em at up to 500--but for a time he made his living at it, and was dead serious about controlling all of the variables that he possibly could. My old hunting/shooting friend Pat (scenarshooter), can whack dogs so far out you would never believe it--and no, i'm not talking 1000 yard shots...the fact is if anyone really saw, and knew what he can do out in the field--on demand--against wily/wary targets, it would flat out turn their blood to spit...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...