.45's are OK if you're going to do BP. They can also be the beginners nemesis. They cost more to load for, kick more and put the shooter at a disadvantage competing against .38 Spec. shooters. I started with all .45's and now have all .38 Spec's.

My .45 Colt Cowboy Marlin is a super slick rifle. I kept getting hot gas blow back in my face, because with low pressure, low velocity CAS loads, thick walled .45 cases won't expand enough to form a seal against the chamber wall.

I turned that gun into a 'Diller Killer. I took the sights off, put blanks in the slots. I mounted a Bushnell Holosight and stuck a high leather comb on the stock for good cheek weld/eye alignment. I loaded 300 gr. lead and jacketed bullets to max vel. with H4227 powder. No blow back with those loads! And it's a fast, deadly rig, the round equivalent to many 45-70 loads (Trapdoor level, for sure).

My current CAS rifle is a Pioneer tricked out, short stroked, .357, '73 Uberti Carbine with custom wood. I load .38 Spec. brass with long, Moulten Lead 147 gr. bullets (check them out on line) to achieve .357 COAL with .38 Spec. brass. Works great. Those bullets lead up my Colt Revolvers, so I use conventional lead bullets in them.

DF