Mauser_Hunter,

I just can't figure out why manufacturers can't leave well enough alone. Many years ago Winchester went bean counter and nearly out of business. Remington's Model 700 action was one of the best on the block. It had to screw with it. So it makes sense without having any sense that Remington would screw with the proven Core-Lokt design. I remember reading an O'Conner article in which he wrote that the 175 grain 7MM Rem Mag Core-Lokt bullet was so well constructed that it would shoot through-and-through elk without expanding. Obviously it was designed to break bones of the biggest bears. O'Connor wrote that the 150 grain Core-Lokt 7MM Rem Mag dropped elk like lightning.

I have a friend who bought a Remington promotion rifle in .270 Win. I think he paid less than 300 bucks with scope included. With 130 grain Core-Lokts, that rifle would shoot under an inch all day long. We'd have to know something that good was too good to remain unscrewed. If the quality of an excellent yet relatively inexpensive bullet is compromised, then manufacturers can dupe us into buying their premium lines, which is probably inferior to their original lines of ammo, and charge us three times as much.

Good Hunting,

R