I will second what EdM stated. An older M77 tang safety 35 Whelen is a keeper and needs very little twiking. I have had my 77RS for several years and the only thing it needed was weight of pull adjustment and a Rifle Basix sear. No take up, or creep and breaks like glass at about 2 lbs. Found a new 77 Hawkeye All Weather on GunBroker a couple of weeks ago in .35 Whelen, and I couldn't resist. I liked the idea of having a stainless synthetic .35W that I won't mind taking out in bad weather. MY OBSERVATIONS ON THE HAWKEYE SO FAR: The action was considerably rough, but using a fine stone on the rails, locking lugs, and extractor has improved it greatly. I like the barrel contour, and the CRF action. The plastic stock is what it is, but is trim and feels good in your hands. The LOP is 13 1/2", that is a little shorter than I like, but when I replace the Ruger pad with a Pachmayr Decelerator pad, it should be just about right. At present without rings or scope the rifle weighs 7 lbs, which is lighter than my 77RS. THE LC6 TRIGGER: First off let me say, that I have never owned a 77 MK II, so I can make no comparisons there. The LC6 trigger has a very small amount of take up due to trigger spring compression, but breaks pretty crisp at around 3 1/2 to 4lbs, with some overtravel. It will never be comparable to a Sako or Kimber factory trigger, not great but really not too bad for a non adjustable hunting trigger. If you just don't like it, Timney has one waiting for you. Personally, I wish Ruger had never changed from the trigger used on the original 77 tang safety model. Next stop, the range.

Good Afternoon,
G2