With reagrd to quiwaumick's post above:
also, though I am a believer in good quality scopes, you can have the best scope in the world and still have a bad shootting rifle. Case in point - the weatherby markV europa I had. What a lemon. I had swarovski on it (costly) and that rifle couldnt shoot better than 3" groups (on a good day). Fliers were frequent and you never knew when it would happen. Finally had the barrel free-floated as one desperate attempt to get it to group - never did. finally, just to stop the bleeding i traded it in for the kimber. I got shafted on the deal too. The Weatherby looked brand new (late 80's model) I paid $750.00 whcih was a darn decent price. the only other thing I could have done was to send it back to weatherby under their guarantee program -but it was too close to hunting season. i needed a shooter now. i traded in a win mod 70 270 WSM supershadow for it -they gave me $300 bucks in trade value so out of pocket on the 7MM Wm was 450. get this: when i took it back to the dealer to trade it in for the kimber - they offered me $300 buck for it. And they were the ones that did all the gunsmithing i had done on it too. I think they knew that gun was a dud when i bought it. Oh well- a lesson learned -some guns need more work than I'm willing to pay for. I will never buy a used gun again, though I have bought some good ones too over the years. You just never really know what your getting - and I'm not a gunsmith, nor do i have the time. sorry to get so off topic but the scope don't make the rifle in every case. I have an inexpensive Leupold VX-1 3x9x40mm on my 7mm-08 and its working great. The swarovski didnt fit so i sold it to my buddy for his 7mm RM. My next scope will be leupold FS series ffixed power - as I pretty much always leave my scope on 4 or 6. $$$ savings by going that way -good glass for the $$