Originally Posted by djs
The reason is COST and the public demand for LOWER taxes and personnel. It costs money and the Border Patrol's budget is being cut just like other agencies. You can't have it both ways and demand lower taxes (or not increase), fewer Federal employees and still have increased security.

For the border to be made (almost) 100% secure, we'd have to position a Border Patrol agent every 100' along the 1,980 mile border to actually tackle illegals. That would be 52.8 per mile or 104,544 per shift. Assuming 4.5 men per position (allows for 3 shifts, vacation, sick time, training, court time, etc. - 4.5 is the security profession accepted number), we'd need 470,448 border patrol agents for complete coverage. AND THIS IS ONLY FOR THE MEXICAN BORDER!

The border Patrol is actually responsible for the 19,000 mile border (including Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, etc.)

According to the BP, there are currently about 15,000 BP agents covering the entire border; so we'd need to hire, pay and train an additional 455,448 agents, just for the Mexican border.

Who here will call Rep. John Boehner and demand that we spend the needed money?

I've got to call BS on this one - I've SEEN through the NV the NM Nat Guard was using on their desert initiative (which was also cut back by BamBam!) The effective range of observation is astounding.
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~