I am out of factory ammo for my Sako 75 in 300 Win. I have been using Remington Core-Lokt's, 180 gr. ever since I got the rifle, and it shoots them well. Also, I do not reload.

My question is, now that I am in need of more ammo, should I be considering anything else? I have an elk hunt in October, and I am deciding between my 300 Win and 257 Wby for my Barbary hunt in February. The Core-Lokt's have performed fine in the past. I haven't lost an animal (elk) yet, but then again, with draw odds being tougher every year for tags here in NM, it's not as if though I'm squeezing the trigger on an animal every other day either. Basically, I bought this gun for elk and have had 4 opportunities on bulls, and all 4 went down. 2 were DRT, while the other 2 took follow up shots.

The reason I bring up the Barbay hunt is because many people are telling me the 257 Wby isn't enough (I also have a 270, so that is an option, but I would like to see what the 257 is capable of) and that I should use my 300 Win. I guess the sheep are tougher than they look?

Anyhow, this is getting long winded, so here are my basic questions:

1) Should I leave well enough alone, and just stick with the 180gr Core Lokts?

2) The alternatives I am considering are the Hornady Superformance and the Barnes Vort-X. Are these worth the look?

3) Weight - Should I stick with 180gr, or should I entertain something lighter, like a 165 TTSX or Hornady SP 165 GMX?

4) Any other comments?

Thank you!