Originally Posted by Maverick940
Originally Posted by mudhen
I doubt that there is an 80-grain bullet that will stabilize in a 1-14 twist. Was it a round-nose? The heaviest bullet that will stabilize in mine is a 60-grain Partition, not a particularly long bullet for its weight. Nosler does list some loads for longer bullets in a 1-8 twist barrel.

I do recall that he had the standard "green and yellow" box with him on that trip, but I wouldn't be certain whether it was 80 grainers or 60 grainers. If memory serves me correctly, I'm pretty sure they were 80 grain bullets. Personally, I'm not a favorite of the .22-250 on extremely large Rocky Mountain mule deer. I think the reason he brought the gun was because it was all he had and he figured he could kill a deer with it. Kill he did - a monster. That was a pretty good hunt. Back then the plateau was overrun with mulies. Of course, most of Arizona at that time was going through a high-moisture trend.
Now that right there is [bleep]' phunny ! Ain't never been no 80 grain .22-250 factory load in no green and yeller box there mr. eggspurt. The 55 gr Win. sp load the op asked about will kill the schitt outta whitetail deer though and I know that from first hand experience.