SpanielDog,

Thank's for a VERY good description of the differences. I assume you're the Leica rep. I guess you've straightened me out on a few items.

I have both the 1600 and 1600-B; newly acquired from Doug just a few weeks back. It's an awesome piece of optics. I sold my Swaro LRF 1-1/2 yrs back after a 3 month side x side comparison of the two. The Swaro is awesome but to me, the Leica is better, especially when one adds the ABC Ballistic Calc.

I've been running the 1600 in conjunction with my light (11 lbs) sniper rifle in 6.5x47 Lapus pushing a 130 VLD to 2970 fps. I use ballistic curve #3 and it's within 1/2 MOA all the way to it's max range of 550 yds (that's using the ballistic calculator). I've ranged clumps of oak brush to 1970 yds.

The new 1600-B is easier to configure to the options SpanielDog described. I wish the MOA drop was in #.# read out the same as the 1600 instead of total clicks. Having to divide by 4 to get my final moa shooting solution is just one more step to complete. No problem until one gets frazzled.

I love the fact that the 1600-B's ABC ballistic calculator goes all the way to 875 yds and I mean "875". Not a yard more. Believe me I've been really testing it lately. I compared it's drops to my Shooter program and it's also VERY close to what is needed; until about 600 or so yds. Then the two paths start to divide and by the time 875 yds comes around, it's 2-3/4 MOA off. I've tested this in the field too. Just this morning the 1600-B gave me about 20.75 moa and I was over the 1/2 sized silhouette. My Shooter dope sheet said 18 moa and "clang, clang, clang" went my next three shots. So, beyond 600 or so yds I'll simply use the laser to get the range, and the temp, baro and angle to complete the data necessary to input in to either my EXBAL or Shooter.

In the morning I drive to No. Utah where my partner and I are competing in Competition Dynamics "24hr Sniper Adventure Challenge". Thirty miles through 7,000' mountains with 50-60lb packs in a 30 hr time limit ascending a total of about 10,000'. Temps in to the 50's at night and mid 90's during the day. 14 or so mandatory check points where their will be courses of fire for LR precision rifles to 1200 yds, AR15 carbines to 500 yds and sidearms to 100 yds. We have additional bonus checkpoints where challenges other than shooting are in store for us such as picking locks/handcuffs, tying knots, 6-mile precision land nav course, etc. $75,000 in prizes on the table from the sponsers. No GPS, night vision or anything electronic that can communicate. Just old fashion map and compass.

I talked my partner into using my Leica 1600 for his AR15. He loves it, smacking steel consistently to 500. I'll then sell my 1600 and welcome the new 1600-B home after it passes muster in the next few days.

Wish me luck!

Alan