Addendum:

One summer 20+ years ago, my pop armed himself with a 340 .222 w/Weaver 6x scope and joined my buddy and I for an all-out assault on "pasture poodles" in south central Pennsylvania. We were armed with a Winchester HiWall bull barrel in .219 Donaldson Wasp w/20x Unertl scope (me) and a Remington .22-250, and gave the old man a some good natured ribbing about his rig. At the end of the summer I had notched up 105 groundhogs and Dad wasn't far behind. The truth of the matter was that in the area we hunted, 400 yards was a helluva long shot and the average was probably in the 200-250 yard range. The long shots were complicated by wind drift, mirage, and plain old shooter's ability- meaning a lot of them were misses. Pop's plugging away at the 'close' shots found him equaling our scores at those distances, and he laughed the whole way home.

After that, I switched to a Ruger 1-B in .223 (that darned HiWall at 12 pounds was just too much gun to lug around in the heat of summer) and repeated my performance the next year. Then I lost interest and got out of it. Sometimes the killing is too much, I guess...

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/05/12.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty