I'm Canadian and have mostly hunted Eastern Canada for the past 60 years: New Brunswick (home province), Nova Scotia, Quebec, and Ontario (for the past 30 years) + one trip to Africa for an 8-day visit with two missionary sons in Senegal -- they took me on a "One Day Safari". I used my eldest son's 12-gauge pump with Brennekes. Managed to whack a couple of warthog (he shot most of his warthog with a single-shot .22LR for protein. Brennekes were too expensive for casual hunting).

So, I have NO experience in western-style hunting, though, of course, I can read.

The best all-purpose rifles I've used for MY hunting of big game (deer, moose and bear)in wooded areas, semi-open and clear cuts, and farm land have been: .300 Winchester Magnums and .45-70s (quite a few of each). In addition, I like the mid-bores a lot. I never shoot factory stuff -- only handloads in centerfires. The .22LR and 12-gauge are exceptions. So to leave out shotguns (which I do include in real life), my list would be:

.22LR -- a Remington semi M597 that shoots ONLY the Hyper Velocity Yellow Jackets into a five-shot group that can be covered with a nickel at 50 yards -- in 5 secs., when I do my part! I'll not shoot anything else through it.

7-08 Remington in a Remington M7 or Winchester Featherweight.

.300 Winchester Magnum with a 24" barrel at least, and 26" preferred. All would shoot sub-moa with the right loads at max velocity. Very versatile. Kind of a super-charged .30-06. Since owning .300s (including Weatherby and Norma as well as several Winchesters), I've never returned to a .30-06.

9.3 X 62 as my current medium. In my Tikka T3 (22.4"), ready to go it weighs 7.4 lbs. Ballistics parallel the three .375 H&Hs I formerly owned.

.458 Win Mag. Have owned a couple, and prefer one with a 23" barrel.

.45-70 in a Ruger #1 -- sort of a single-shot .458 Win Mag, though more versatile in ballistics. Have owned 3. My current one was long-throated 15 years ago. Ballistics do equal a .458 Win Mag but in a very handy and light rifle. Handsome to boot.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 08/06/12.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus