Just got back in from the field:

I basically followed Doug's direction on the Dyna Coat package, word for word.

And noting Doug's mention about JB's being the only clean barrel he'd received early on in the campfire post above, also did JB's Brass brush method, tight patch & JB compound. which I always did before anyway when removing copper too bare metal.

I just did an Encore Pro .44 Mag 2 weeks ago, and the only thing I varied from was shooting 10 shots as fast as possible to heat the barrel. I think JB said recently he fired 5-7 shots.

Let the barrel set overnight, then cleaned it in the regular manner (for me) and did notice it cleaned quicker. This particular barrel was somewhat difficult to get squeaky clean before the coating treatment. I use K-12 copper solvent, and I believe JB said recently KG-12 did not get the minute copper deposits out. IRC, JB uses Copper Melt and lets it sit in the barrel for a few minutes for his last clean. Squeaky clean to me is a tight wet alcohol patch, that will squeak all the way from the throat to the muzzle end, with a nylon bristle/steel core bore brush. And that may not mean squat for complete copper removal.

I don't have a bore scope so can't verify that I got all copper out. My test is using a bright white fiber optic and looking for anything that is shadow or different reflection other than bright light the same as the fiber light. If there is copper deposits in minute pores in the barrel steel I probably don't see that with the fiber optic.

I can sure tell you the barrel cleaned easier though after the treatment.

need to edit, did not answer your question directly: I would clean a new barrel as Doug and JB describe. I have done that and did a Ruger American that way earlier this year right out of the box. Sure didn't hurt that new barrel any. I usually JB Compound clean all new 'factory' barrels. Think others have also coated new barrels also.

Last edited by slopshot; 08/17/12.