Bea's advice is good.
When I use mine -
I would always cock it when I got to the stand for a morning hunt, assuming I'm walking in during the dark. For an evening hunt, I'd cock it at the car and hunt my way in. I have a 2009 Excalibur Exocet 200Lb and it is rated at 330fps.
To unload, I take my Rhinehart 18-1 and shoot it into my target. I have to do this in my car headlights in the evening.

Crossbows:
Hell yeah, I have one! I don't like using it near as much as my bow, but I hunt from the ground and I want every advantage I can get. My Mathews bow is set at 70lbs and I could pull 90lbs if I had to, even at age 50.
The crossbow helps me when the deer are spooky. Effective range for both weapons is about 40 yards. At least with the bow there is a chance for a follow up shot. With the crossbow you get 1 shot and that is it.
The only advantage I see with a crossbow is the lack of movement it takes when the deer come in.
I have a red dot sight. 1-dot and I set it for 30 yards, the same as I do for my bow. I enjoy using both weapons but prefer to grab my mathews bow first.

Last edited by Two503000; 09/10/12.

Phil