Drove over to Chris Schofield's shop yesterday with my LH Model 70 so he could set up the inletting for the pattern stock he's making. Last week I mailed him a Remington BDL stock for the exterior and he had that basic pattern already done.

Trying to put a Model 70 into a stock designed for a Remington 700 action isn't the easiest thing in the world, but with a sculptor's eye and lots of bondo anything is possible. wink It was fun watching this all take shape. I didn't get as many pics as I wanted but you get so wrapped up in watching the creative process you kind of forget.

Anyway, a bit of the process.

The factory BDL stock taped up from the pantograph, my model 70 in pieces taped and covered in shoe polish waiting to be slathered in bondo.

[Linked Image]

The initial set of the recoil lug. Hey, it's almost ready to shoot!

[Linked Image]

Inletting around the trigger guard with the Bridgeport milling machine. I love watching big ol' heavy machines like this at work.

[Linked Image]

Getting that inletting just right. Bondo is your friend. I was joking with Chris about how you always hear to use a piece of "scrap wood" for mixing bondo and epoxy and such. Chris' "scrap wood" is a piece of nicely figured walnut. grin

[Linked Image]

Chris setting the tang just right.

[Linked Image]

I have heard it said that two things you don't want to watch being made are laws and sausages. To that list you can add watching a pattern stock being built up around your nice new Winchester rifle. eek

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_02467.JPG[/img]

But everything turned out fine. The bondo came off and the rifle is all cleaned up and re-assembled. Chris helped me pick out a really nice blank of walnut and is going to cut the stock here pretty soon. More on that in time.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!