Well, not me, my daughter!

My daughter wanted to hunt elk this year so she picked up a cow elk tag for the 4th season in Jackson County, Colorado (aka, "North Park", in the Walden area). I have a 3rd AND 4th season tag in the area so figured I'd play tour guide for her tag and try to find her an elk. I am an accomplished hunter but have only dabbled in elk, and have never killed one. She has never hunted elk. It is not a stellar elk area but I know it reasonably well from grouse, coyote, deer, and waterfowl hunting.

Well, a few weeks ago the DOW called and asked her if she wanted "another tag" for the unit, at no cost. The call was kind of cryptic, and I am sure my daughter didn't really understand what they were asking, but she of course said yes.

Fast forward to today... She received a letter in the mail that she is one of 10 people to draw an elk hunt in Arapaho NWR - the first year ever they will allow elk hunting on that refuge!!

She will use her existing tag, but have access to the NWR.

I know the refuge holds a nice herd of elk in the late season but not sure if any elk will be there in Nov (still early), but it's still a cool opportunity.

If nothing else we will scout it out, but best case there will be a few elk in the area and we (as a family) and her (as a young woman) will finally get our/her first elk!

Looking forward to it!!

--Duck911

The area:

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.