Speaking of Army/Navy stores we had an Army Surplus store back when I was growing up. Man I loved that place. Shelves of bayonets (dad wouldn't let me have one for some reason). real military clothing, military rifles still half coated with grease, all kinds of good stuff. My buddies and I all had real stuff to play army with-helmet liners, cartridge belts, shovels with khaki holders that clipped on the belts, you name it.
Last time I was in one it was all cheap imitation stuff and tactical gear. Lots of cheap knives. Kinda sad.
I finally got dad to give me an M3 trench knive he picked up somewhere. Sadly, I decided to sharpen it with a grinder which ticked dad off somethin fierce.
A little side story about old stores. Years ago there was a shoe store in the top floor of a building downtown. Had to walk up a flight of stairs to get to it. As you entered the store there was a big poster of a guy aiming at some elk. I always liked that poster.
Anyway, the store closed and some time later that poster appeared in my uncle's garage. He pinned notes to it. When he passed I got the poster (the uncle who was executor of the will said "take the dumb thing."
I brought it home and did some investigating on the net. It is the work of Philip Goodwin (one "l"), a famous illustrator from the early 20th century. It measures probably four feet by five feet. I made a nice walnut frame for it and it rests in our rec room. I haven't found one that large and have no idea of what it's worth, but it's mine.