Right now there isn't a local gun range within an hours drive for me to go to with my centerfire rifles, I'm in Lubbock TX for work and not home in Colorado. However I have an indoor range within five minutes of my apartment. So I thought I'd get back to basics and get me a .22lr to get my shooting fix.

I first looked at the Savage Mark II FVT but didn't like the feel of it. I want a bolt action repeater with good sights, so that took a lot of great single shots off the list. May still get one but what I've found so far has me chosing a couple of no longer produced rifles I know nothing of.

I'm currently looking at an old Mossberg 44 U.S. and an H&R Targeteer. I like the sights a little better on the Mossberg and the Targeteer is about $150 cheaper when all is said and done. The 44 is at gunbroker and the H&R is a local rifle.

My only .22lr I own is an old 06 Winchester pump, great rifle and I love shooting it. I'm just looking for something I can sling up and practice shooting with that is a little more of a full sized rifle. Not really wanting a semi auto as I mainly hunt with bolt action rifles nor do I want a scoped rifle as it is only 25 yards and I want to get back to basics.