After comparing several different scopes in the 4 to 14 power variable range, I have just about settled on a new side focus Nikon Buckmasters. Frankly, I preferred it to a Leupold VX-III in a side by side comparison. The brightness and clarity seemed comparable and the eye relief didn't seem to be greatly different either. The Buckmasters even seemed to have less critical eye relief, too. And it is a nice fit for my budget, as I already have sufficient funds on hand to purchase one. My only remaining concern is the Buckmasters ability to withstand recoil and other bumps and bruises in hunting situations. It will be mounted on my Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow in .270 WSM, so recoil won't be too extreme, but it does come back a bit with the full house 140 gr Accubonds. Anyone been subjecting a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14 scope to a bunch of short magnum recoil? Any problems?
For what it is worth, I have also looked at the Leupold VXIII, the Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14 (which I currently have a 3x9 mounted on the rifle and have had no problems with it for the past 2 years, just want a little more than 9 power magnification for range work and long range varmints), Sightron SII 4-16x42 and the Weaver Grand Slam 4.5-14 as well as the V16 and I liked the Buckmasters the best, and not just because it was the least expensive. I hope someone out there can provide a little additional information on whether or not it can handle recoil, and I should be ready. Of course, if a dozen people report scope failures and nightmare customer service from Nikon, I may have to go to plan B (starting over again, or say the heck with it and live with the FFII 3-9X) Appreciate any comments.