Chumleyhunts;
As others have already said, in my experience it is possible to lighten up a 98 somewhat, but it isn't an altogether simple windmill to tilt at.

I've built this one which is my main walking around rifle these days. I apologize to those who've seen this photo before, but it does cut to the chase of where you can end up I suppose.

[Linked Image]

The specs are as follows on this rifle:
- Parker Hale Featherweight contour .270 barrel - 22"

- Wildcat Composites stock - 18 oz without sling studs or recoil pad.

- Special ordered the recoil pad from Corlane's in Dawson Creek , BC and it's an honest 2.5oz installed as opposed to 5oz + for a Decelerator.

- Leupold 6X compact scope

- ugly Bushnell vertical split rings that weigh 1.6oz - I'd think that Leupold Rifleman would be close to that but that's a guess on my part.

- aluminum Weaver bases

- Bottom metal from Brownell's which is again ugly but weighs an honest 3.6 oz just like they say it does. Some Parker Hale bottom metal isn't aluminum really but some kind of heavier alloy that scales out at 8oz. I spent a few hours making Swiss cheese out of steel bottom metal and was only able to come out at 7oz. +

- Boonie Packer Sling, which complete with swivels is about 3oz or less - sorry I can't recall that detail this morning.

Anyway sir, hopefully that was some use to you or someone else out there who has or might have similar ambitions.

As I've mentioned before I started this as a "what if" project and now that it's done I really wish I'd started with a small ring Husky or Brno action instead. Ah well, live and learn I suppose.

The rifle is nice to carry though, is very easy to shoot well for me as it balances fine for my purposes and is reliable as an anvil - but doesn't weigh as much! wink

Good luck on your rifle build and on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"