Thanks for your response and information. I have been using a 158gr gas checked bullet in my Ballard rifled Marlins with good results (about an inch @ 50yds with tang sight and old eyes). These bullets are sized .309 and my supplier can't size them any larger. I've used several powders and probably will continue to experiment but I think I've settled on Trail Boss for my primary plinking powder in the 30-30.
Unless I missed something the bullets seem to be priced similar, about $60/500, although Oregon Trail does include shipping. I've been thinking about gearing up for casting but really don't have the time. I guess a Lee sizer to apply gas checks would be a good place to start with equipment.
I will ask...Do you have any experience with similar alloys on Whitetail deer? I've wondered if Lyman #2 or similar would give any expansion with muzzle velocities in the 1600 to 1800 fps range?
I'll probably order some of the Oregon Trail bullets to try as well. In addition to a "fleet" of Marlins I have an '06 and 308 that I enjoy "plinking" loads in. I'm sure they would at least work in someting I have if not all.
Thanks again for your help,
Rick

PS Do you have a preference between the Oregon Trail 165 or 170?
Thanks

Last edited by RickinTN; 11/08/12.