Hunting yesterday with bow. At 8 am I saw a doe in the thicket 30 yds away, looking behind her to my right. I turn and here comes a nice shooter buck. I had about 10 seconds to think "shooter!", grab the bow, bleat at him 3 times to get him to stop, and then YANK the shot at 27 yds. Heard the dreaded watermelon sound. Gave him 2 hours and then slowly trailed the blood until it started thinning out. I slowly backed out and as I did, I saw him get up and slowly walk down the hill side.

Came back at 3:00 and slowly picked up the trail from where he was bedded. Finally saw him laying almost belly up down in a ravine. His head was propped up against a sapling. Dead deer! My buddy went back to get the quad, and I worked my way down the hill.
Got to 20 yards away and his back legs kicked, he struggled, got up, crashed across a dry ditch, and stumbled off. To say I was sick is understating things...

Only got down to 52 degrees overnight. So I finally found him around 9:00 this morning. Smelled him 50 yards away...

[Linked Image]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD