So I ended up buying a new deer rifle(it should be here later this week).and due to my wife's rule of one in, one out, my .257 weatherby had to go...of course as luck would have it, I sold it 3 days before General deer season. This left me with just my .223 SPS tactical. I had it sighted in with 70 grain Berger VLDs. Not being one to take odd angles/long shots, I knew if I was disciplined I would be ok. Today was opening day, and after spending the day calling coyotes, we setup on a field edge for the last couple hours. The long and short of it is that with 1/2 hour of light left, a decent size doe ended up in my scope. I shot her tight to the onside shoulder, just over her heart. She ran about 80 yards and fell over. Upon cleaning her up, I was impressed by the performance of the little gun. Typical Berger performance, small entry, exploded through the lungs, then blew the off side shoulder to pieces. I was a bit worried before I went out with this light combo, but I came away impressed.