Ain't had much use for a big belt knife until now, prior to this a 5" blade seeming about right.

But with a recent foray into 1830's Texas historical reenacting on my part, a bigger knife was needed. Jim Bowie's famous sandbar duel occurred in 1827, the renoun of that knife mirroring a general trend towards a big-knife-as-a-sidearm, a thing which continued until the arrival of affordable revolvers.

Wanted to stay away from a Bowie knife as it is too cliched, and also they have guards. The thing is, a knife without a guard can more or less disappear into a long sheath that covers most of the handle, whereas that of a knife with a guard necessarily covers only the blade, exposing the handle.

This for me is an important consideration when one is reenacting among crowds in public; a knife mostly concealed within a sheath seemingly less likely to get grabbed by someone other than oneself is all.

Anyhoo... I opted for a heavy 8 1/2" butcher-style blade, widest near the end, figuring such a knife would have a long working life in constant use back then, though maybe less than ideal as a fighting knife.

The smaller knife in the pic is a way-cool deer leg bone handled one, locally made from an old tool, intended of Rev War era reenacting. A great knife but a tad small as a primary belt knife for the Texian era.

The larger one is the latest acquisition. A relatively inexpensive import and too polished and shiny but it'll do for now.

[Linked Image]

Seeking opinions here; if you were tasked with wearing a 7" or longer belt knife for constant carry and use, what blade design would you choose and why?

Thanks,

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744