Originally Posted by LarryBud
I believe it depends more on the quality of the bullet and the accuracy it provides out of your gun. All three will effectively take a Whitetail, however, they must hit home with accuracy.

Find the sabot / bullet combo that shoots well and hunt with confidence.

Good advice here.

Something to keep in mind though. Velocity decreases in flight, mass doesnt.
I hunt pretty much exclusivly with ML. I guess 180 grain up through 490 grain projectiles... it all works if you hit them in right. Its a large target too.

one of my guns really likes 80 grains 777 + 460 grain .451 caliber bullet. Another loves 90 grains powder pushing a 40 caliber 250 grain spitzer. The musket likes roundballs.

As it stands now, all of my projectiles are full lead, non-jacketed. I let the gun decide what it likes most.

I'd avoid the lightest for caliber bullets (180-200 grain .429's for a .50) if you are merely chasing speed, as I feel at this velocity range heavy lead is more consistent. But if thats what you r gun shoots best, go for it.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.