I just got home this morning. No bull! We had 3 days to scout before season and saw several bulls. Two were real good bulls on the Coconino Rim. We also saw several five points there and a smaller six point and a broken horned six point out on the western side of the unit. They got scarce after the shooting started.

My partner, Chris, spotted a six point on the face of the rim on opening morning. I was several hundred yards away glassing a different area. For some reason he hesitated to go after it and we lost time. We were in the basin and had to far to go to get to him and he disappeared before we got there. A few days later Chris got on a five point at about 375 yards up on the rim but the bull never gave him a clear shot and that was about it for the season. We saw bulls in the headlights while driving out in the morning along the rim several times. Most of the shooting we heard came from the north end of the rim.

We camped on top of the rim and temps averaged about 40 degrees at night and about 60 in the day. Chris didn't believe the thermometer so we put a can of water out to see if it would freeze. It never froze until yesterday morning when it started to freeze a little.

There are plenty of bulls there but it is a tough unit to hunt with the flat country and poor visibility. A little snow would have helped.