You have good dogs to work over - praise them for it, even when they find hens. Contrary to rural legend, no dog can tell the difference between the scent of a rooster and of a hen. I'm on my first dog (weim) and now understand the guys that I hunt with once a year that don't measure the success of a hunt by limits of birds. I grew up in the thick of SD's best pheasant hunting in Miller when it was unbelievable and only worried about shooting my limit. Today I measured the success of my hunt by Lucy locking up hard on the four birds that held for her - all hens, and sticking with the ones that ran on her and flushing them within range - all hens. Each one received extensive praise and congratulations, even as she looked at me trying to tell me I was an idiot for not shooting. Now she's curled at my side resting from many miles of work and I didn't clean a single bird, yet count it a great day of hunting. Wouldn't have done that 10 years ago. I used to help guide non-residents. The one that think it's about yelling and screaming I would take to the side and tell them that I'm glad they're excited, but to cool it. It's annoying and unattractive. And I wouldn't listen to metal music if you paid me, complete turnoff.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile