Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Seems the thread has taken another turn. Hard to be clear or convey full intent.

I was thinking about what would be essential for shelter building in an UNPLANNED EVENT. Meaning, what is essential to be on you during winter day trips for emergency shelter building. That's where I was going with the hatchet vs saw vs knife thing.

Evan-

I am heading back over for "school" in a month or two so I will get some more hands on time. I really, really wish I had taken some of the opportunities that I have squandered. The trip you had up here 2 years ago, or many of the Rondys that come and go without me committing. Much could be learned for free in a weekend. It's tough without a Mentor to assist and stop you from really F'ing up and saving your bacon and also shortening the harder portions of the learning curve....the classic "Too much coal....saw it right off" Jeremiah Johnson mentor.

I own two of EdT's stoves. One being one of his newest designs with roll up Ti. I am sure I could pack this at all times. Have a SuperTarp with Annex also. So its not really that I didn't think out of the box, but my mind just didn't go that direction. Probably the surest bet in the bush though....going with a known system for 5 lbs vs trying to make a warm, heated shelter in the dark with a hatchet and pine boughs.

And maybe it's time to start packing some intermediate tinder as Ed suggests. Something transitional.

Jesse,

Here is my winter fire kit:

[Linked Image]

Fatwood sticks, Waterproof matches, One handed striker, Wet Fire Tinder, Fire Steel, Tin with Vasiline coated cotton pads, carrying case.

Winter time is not a time to take shortcuts with the ability to make fire.

Ed T