Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Thanks MD

I personally haven't between me and my hunting partner seen the need to switch from the ttsx....
It doesn't always leave huge blood trails despite always having exited for us... As you know sometimes the skin covers the hole but I haven't had to look for the couple deer that weren't bang flops.

Now If I was shooting long range. I'd use a soft bullet like a vld or BT but in close I like driving a light ttsx as fast as its accurate... I know it will penetrate no matter what and reach the vitals no matter what

SAKO75 �

Like you, I�ve seen no reason to switch to fragile, thin-skinned bullets like the VLD or A-MAX. Even on antelope the TTSX have proven to be rapid expanders with most going straight down. (I did have one make it about 25 yards, by far the most any have gone after being hit.)

Of the last 4 deer I�ve killed with TTSX or MRX, the one this year made it the furthest � and that was only a few steps. The rest went straight down on the shot. One was shot facing and the bullet went full length with an exit.

No big blood trails, but you don�t need them when the animals don�t go more than a few steps. Here�s a pic of this year�s buck, 180g MRX, taken at maybe 50 yards. The blood shows the exit hole.

[Linked Image]

Entrance�
[Linked Image]

Exit�
[Linked Image]

This year�s cow, shot at 399 yards with a 180g MRX, stayed up for just a few seconds and made maybe 15 yards. This pic shows the exit side:
[Linked Image]

The question for me is not so much what bullet will drop them faster on a perfect broadside, and in many cases the difference is vanishingly small at best. My primary concern is what happens when things don�t go as planned. Give me a bullet that works very well when things go right but has what it takes to reach deep when needed.

What are you launching those 180 MRXs from? .308, .30-06, .300 Mag?

Thx,
Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein