Originally Posted by mudhen

Then, three years ago, I shot a 6x6 with a largish rack, but an absolutely huge body. We got the thing about half way into the bed and the winch started smoking and quit working. We now have a 5,000-lb winch on the headache rack and it has been up to the task so far.

Mudhen,

I did a google on 2000lb ATV winches and I was surprised just how many cheap Chinese winches there are out there now in the $80 to $120 price range and I be the quality varies significantly.

Also, as Rockchuck alluded to in another post, it seems company's arrive at the poundage pulling ratings differently. One I was looking at for instance advertised a 2000lb pull but in the small print, that was using a double line pull, so really it was only a 1000lb pull at best.

If I understand the theory correctly, another factor is due to gearing effects. The full power of a winch is only available when all the line is paid out..the more turns of line left on the drum or as the cable winds back on, the less pulling power it has available. That could have been a factor when your 2000lb winch burned out...

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 12/15/12.