The next day we left the Omay and headed to Bulawayo. We spent several days in town attending the Hunter�s Ball, visiting TCI�s taxidermy and shipping facility, attended a braai, and just relaxed.

[Linked Image]

All cleaned up, headed to the ZPHGA Hunter's Ball

We then went to Hwange, specifically Nehimba Lodge owned and operated by Martin�s wife Candy. It is absolutely first class. The lodge and food are extremely nice. The elephants are BIG in that part of the world. If you have the time, do yourself a favor and spend a few days at Nehimba. You can return home via Vic Falls, it is well worth the trip.

[Linked Image]

Other notes:
Lindon is a very good PH. We enjoyed the hunt with him and I would recommend him without reservation.

We were away for 28 days total and it was still not enough.

The first six days were the hardest hunting I have ever done. Between the heat, distance walked, and climbing up and down some pretty steep hills (mountains to a Louisiana boy) it took a toll on me.

November-December is a good time to be in Zimbabwe. We did receive some rain but we saw the transition from the dry season. Trees were green or turning green. Grass was beginning to grow. We took time to observe the fauna and flora, particularly in Hwange. Martin and his family�s knowledge of the plant and animal life is amazing.

I am probably in a dangerous time in my hunting career. After five dangerous game safaris I have learned just enough to get me in trouble and believe I can shoot my way out of anything. The elephant proved me wrong, I still need to work on where to place that brain shot.

I was happy with the shot on the buffalo. Offhand at 75 yards after walking, climbing, and crawling for hours was difficult. I remember picking up the rifle seeing the front sight on the shoulder and squeezing the trigger. It happened really fast and I do not even recall seeing the rear sight.

The reload on the elephant was quick and clean.

Katherine did a fine job and I was really proud of her and her buffalo.

This was my third time to the Omay. As I stated it was the hardest hunt I have ever done. Keep in mid not all of the Omay is like the area we chose to tackle. The McKenzie Delta area, the Bumi Area, a lot of Omay South, the Matayo River, even areas in the Della are relatively easy and from early May to early October are very pleasant to hunt.

We saw a lot of plainsgame. I could not even count the waterbuck near the Ume. We also saw bushbuck, impala, kudu, klipspringer.

The aquatic species are plentiful. Pierre Hundermark and a client shot a huge hippo while we were there. There were plenty of crocodiles everywhere. I saw one at least 14 feet long. I wanted to swim near tiger Bay, just a quick in and out, but ofter watching a 12 foot croc circle the boat for an hour, common sense prevailed. I would have probably given Lindon a heart attack anyway.

This was the first time I have seen water in the Ume. It surely was different.

[Linked Image]

The Ume from the Siakobvu Lookout

I am planning on skipping Africa in 2013, just like 2012��..

Last edited by Mike70560; 12/17/12.