I have a 12x12 alaknak.....bout' a 2000 model. It is perfect for two and lots of gear. On a horse trip three or four is doable without cots. The sealed floor has saved a few trips.....one year I had to stack rocks and wood around the stove opening in the floor to keep it above the river that developed under the tent. I saw Noah pass by in an ark where the field had turned to a torrent.......the inside stayed dry.

The tent needs wood heat to stay dry as the venting is not adequate unless the windows are opened a bit, and I STRONGLY suggest a better storage bag or wrapping in canvas or tarp if you horse pack into tight trees. Overall, the price I paid ($400 iirc) was a steal and if I paid a couple hundred more and the quality hasn't gone south, I would still be happy.

If you do end up with an alaknak, drill a couple holes in the center post for the hooks used on bungee cords.....they make perfect lantern holders and coat hooks. I ran a piece of para cord all the way around the inside and use it to drape clothes over to dry by the stove.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.