Originally Posted by Killertraylor
I received a rifle that I bought here on the fire that the previous owner had broken off a scope base mounting screw in. I took my smallest drill bit and (after using a sharp punch to put a starting mark in top of the broken screw) very carefully drilled it out. My plan was to drill a real small hole and then jb weld a small hex wrench into the hole and just back the screw out (have done this before). However, because it was on a remington 700 action and the scope mount screws go all the way through the top of the receiver, once I got the drill bit started, it just screwed the broken screw straight down and through the receiver where it fell out safely. No damage to the threads at all. Would have been even easier with a drill press. You might give it a try to save a few bucks if you have the nerve.

Thought about it. I am not sure all of the caffeine would allow me to have a hand that is steady enough for that. Last thing i wanted was to scratch the receiver of bugger the threads. I need to get a drill press some day, they would be very helpful. I already dropped it off at the smith. Im sure he will have it done in a couple minutes.