The contention that WW factory ammo is loaded with W296 is not true. I have it on reliable authority that WW Hornet ammo is loaded with a non-canister grade of their long-discontinued W680. The closest you can get with a canister-grade powder is either Accurate 1680 (the name is no coincidence) or LilGun, depending on the lot-lot variation of either.

It is absolutely impossible to determine powder type by visual examination - ESPECIALLY with fine-grained spherical powders.

On Hornet primers - I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that with such a small case, you must either start the bullet off very gently, or very forcibly. A mild primer allows the bullet to stay locked in place under crimp pressure until the powder charge fully ignites; a vigorous primer allows the bullet to leave the case but hesitate at the rifling start long enough to achieve the same thing. A primer in between can cause poor results because it may sometimes unseat the bullet and sometimes not - and never the same way or amount twice.

That's my evolving theory, at any rate.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.