BT99: Speaking of friends and W 748 - I just bought a like new Remington 700 SPSV-SS in 223 Remington from a 45+ year friend of mine.
He is an eccentric AND he is wealthy.
He bought the Rifle in question only last spring and loaded up some W 748 and 40 grain V-Max bullets for it.
He claimed it was the most accurate factory 223 Remington Rifle he had ever owned (and he has owned a LOT of them!).
Why, he then decided to sell it, only an eccentric could understand?
So I buy it from him at an impressive discount price and bring it home for "testing" of my own and to see if it can earn a place in my current stable of 13 Varmint guns in caliber 223 Remington.
So I wait for the wind to calm here in SW Montana and when it finally did off I go to my local range to shoot some of the 80 rounds of handloads he gave me in the deal.
Once sighted in (I had to provide a scope for the Rifle - a Weaver V-16) I fired one group of five shots at 100 yards that measured .307"!
It was simply to cold to do any more accurate shooting on that day with the Rifle.
Needless to say that Rifle is not leaving my vaults for any reason other than to go Varminting with me.
If you should happen to get a 223 Rifle then be sure and use some of that W 748 in it along with the Hornady 40 grain V-Max and Federal 205 M (match) primers - double check this but start at around 27.0 grains and work up.
I have used W 748 in a myriad of Rifles for the last few decades - it is a great and reliable powder - staying consistent in load and velocity over that time.
I will second the fact that you have a good friend and a generous one. I would no more give up any of my stores of W 748 than I would amputate any of my toes.
Enjoy your W 748.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy