Jericho, I have also heard of a couple of other oddballs out there too, but have never hand my hands on one or have seen a picture either......

blairvt, I don't know.... I have never shot it..... messed up huh :0

Redneck, I would be inclined to agree with you however, the taper of the barrel is slightly thicker than a pre barrel is sans the "node" or lasset as I'm familiar with it.
I laid a '53 Std weight pre '06 adjacent to the rifle in question this evening and lined up the faces of the actions equally side by side to take the pics presented.
The roll marks don't line up in relationship to what would have been a "55 standard weight 7x57 barrel had a node been present on the rifle in question, and subsequently turned off on a lathe,
I also believe the factory roll marks of the 7x57 would have been compromised.
In the pics, one might notice that the word "trademark" lies underneath the Winchester logo on the "53.
It is absent on on the 7x57 it and has been replaced with a R within a circle after the name, the copyright logo maybe ? and something that I've never seen on a Pre, only the post 64"s .
The "53 pre also says " Made in New Haven Conn. U.S. Of America. The 7x57 says, Made in the U.S.A. another item I've only seen on "post" rifles. Frankly the roll marks and die stamps between the two barrels is vastly different given the very close proximity of age, assuming the 7x57 was a '55 take off barrel.
One other thing I feel might be worthy of mention is that to the best of my knowledge, all the model 70 barrels of pre 1960 manufacture had a a integral front ramp sight. If my understanding is correct, and if the barrel of this rifle had been shortened to remove and lathe turn the node off, It would have also been necessary to turn the integral ramp off. The barrel of the 7x57 shows no evidence of ever having that ramp nor has the rifle been polished and re-blued.
Something that may help is if I could find out when Winchester went from a "trademarked" name to a "copyrighted " name.....
any ideas????
Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated.

BD

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member