I have an X-1. It is more of a "daypack" size. Not sure how much gear you intend to carry but empty, you can carry about 50 pounds of meat, maybe 60 if you really stuff it in. I also have a J-107 Dragonfly. It or the J-34 will pack more meat + gear. I like the Eberlestock pack scabbards. They carry your rifle securely and comfortably, however, I typically use it while packing in but not while actually hunting. While it is accessible, it isn't quickly accessible and I'm a little uncomfortable pulling a loaded rifle out hand over hand behind my head, especially if excited over spotted game.

I do use a Kifaru gunbearer while actually hunting, which can be used with any pack you currently own. I'm not entirely happy with the position of the rifle but really don't know what my complaint with it is. It works, secures your rifle yet keeps it readily and quickly accessible. I believe it overall to be a good piece of gear, once you get it adjusted and get used to the rifle position. If you want both hands free for trekking poles etc. the gunbearer is the best solution I know of.

If you already have a good pack, I certainly wouldn't advocate buying an Eberlestock just to get the scabbard. Just add a gunbearer to your current pack and go hunt.

Last edited by snubbie; 01/13/13.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com