Let me preface this with the observation that there are members here who have vast amounts of experience with the .44 on game. I am not one of them. With that being said, I feel that the benefits of a light bullet are outweighed by the detriments. Certainly a 180gr load will kill a deer, and I would not criticize anyone for choosing one, but I prefer the 240�s.

If a 240gr and 180gr both get the job done nearly as well in the best of circumstances, and a 240gr load does the job better in the worst of circumstances, why not choose the 240gr loading? I suppose the 180gr crowd uses them because a perfect shot might have a more dramatic effect on a deer, and they flatten trajectory. Both are valid points. Although I have not used 180�s on game, my time at the range with them suggests they have more blast and the recoil is sharper and less comfortable than the heavier loads.

When handgun hunting, I feel that it is hard to guarantee a �perfect� shot. Besides, the heavier loads work just fine with a perfect shot. If you are hunting groundhogs or something, I guess I can see using the lighter loads to flatten trajectory a bit.

Years ago I shot a deer in the neck with a factory 240gr XTP load out of a 6.5� Smith. It fragmented and did not exit, and was found under the skin on the far side of the neck. I have also used the 300gr XTP as well. These days if I head afield with a .44 I carry either the 250gr Winchester Platinum Tip (which is now replaced with their Dual Bond bullet), or the plain old Winchester White Box 240gr soft point. To tell you the truth, my hunch is the White Box load is as good as anything else out there.