We used to sporterize old military rifles when they were cheap and plentiful.

There were fewer new rifle choices then also.

My late dad bought a P-14 that had been sporterized by using the military stock. It was drilled and tapped and as you know they were 30-06's.

I shot a buck in VT with it when it had the peep rear sight and he got me a Lyman 4X All American the next year and he fitted a Bishop stock to it. He did the metal over in Black Oxide which was the rage in the 50's.

Although the rifle was accurate it was heavy and clumsy. The stock was not checkered nor did it have a pad. I got a couple of deer with it and some chucks. While it had a decent safety that held the firing pin overall the rifle was too big for me.

It's gone and I am glad of it. I have better rifles now.

So if you have nothing to do this winter but have a bench and a vise along with tools you might make a hobby out of it. I would not.

To add now that I looked for a picture on the net to post here I had forgot about those ears that they had!

Thus I would dump the rifle as is if it is at all military looking still. That's what's the rage today, the military look even the old stuff. Just dump it and buy a nice new rifle!

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!