Boxer is using the jigs on steelhead in streams under a float. Its a really effective way of getting into fish. You find good "bobber/jig" water, adjust the float for depth to keep the jig 12 to 18 inches off the bottom. As much as non flea-flickers will hate to admit it, you kind of fish the rig like a nymph under an indicator when fly fishing. You mend your line and try to keep a natural drift. A long rod, 9 to 11 feet or more, will keep your main line off the water and allow you to control your drift.

In lakes, you can fish jigs several different ways depending on where the fish are holding and what they are eating. If the trout are cruising the bank during a hatch or pushing baitfish, I'll tie the jig to my mainline and fish much like you would if you were fishing for bass. If the bait is minnows, I swim the jig with full contact during the retrieve. If the trout are picking up invertebrates or nymphs, I'll cast toward the bank and let the jig go to the bottom on a slack line and watch for changes in direction or sinking rate. If I see something strange, I set the hook. Otherwise, raise the rod tip and then let the jig fall on a slack line. Keep an eye on your line as you might not feel the bite.

If trout are suspended over structure or a creek channel, you can try and get an idea of the shape of the structure and rig accordingly. If its a creek channel or sharp break, you rig your jig for the correct depth under a float and cast parallel to the structure and slowly work it back to your boat. If its more isolated structure, you can vertical jig without a float.