Ok, first off I agree that forcing someone to buy insurance as a condition of gun ownership is probably unconstitutional and all the other things that have been said about it above.

Second - liability insurance. If you are not carrying some sort of umbrella liability policy you are probably underinsured and leaving your estate at risk. And no, I don't sell insurance. Most insurance agents will not tell you about liability policies because they are a low profit product that require a fair bit of work on the agent's part. Normally you have to have either auto or homeowner's policies with the company to get a liability policy. They may require that you up the limits on your auto policy especially if you have the minimum required by your state. Mine requires 300,000/500,000 medical/personal injury. The difference in cost between that and the minimum is very small.

A liability policy kicks in if any one comes after you because they are injured on your property or by your vehicle. The theory is, if you run a stop sign and injure someone they will probably sue. Their laywer will look at what you own, look at the liability policy and tell their client " We can get 5 million if we win but it will take 3-5 years in court or we can settle for 1 million (or whatever your policy is) and get paid next month."

I don't know what it would cost in New York but in Florida my $1.5 million policy costs abot $425 a year and covers three rental houses, my primary residence and all my vehicles. Yes it's a lost cost if you never use it. The alternative is losing everything you have if you need it and don't have it.

Learn from other's mistakes, life is too short to make them all youself.