RockChucker30 posted a video on SeekOutside's website showing how to make firestraws with pixi sticks.
http://seekoutside.com/giant-pixy-stix-fire-straws-in-an-altoids-tin/

I've made a few firestraws with just soda straws but started thinking. Why not some sealed cotton balls in something more compact. Thought about the Foodsaver vacuum sealer. So I made some firestarting packets of vaseline soaked cotton balls sealed in Foodsaver vacuum plastic. They aren't vacuumed, just sealed.
[Linked Image]

I made several, they are sealed and waterproof and will pack down into an altoids tin or some similar container.
[Linked Image]

You can light the whole packet with a lighter which I tried out or cut and partially pull out the cotton ball and it will fire right off with a firesteel which is what I did in this photo. They seem to burn about 4 minutes.
[Linked Image]

Just trying some different alternatives. I think this is neat as everything stays weather sealed and dry and packs flat. A couple could be carried in a fire kit or just thrown in a pocket.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com