Thanks BrentD,
Yes, it makes sense. I am familiar with the process he used. BTW, This is the 4th time I'm telling myself I need to get that book.
One additional thought; The sights and sight radius of which you speak are probably worlds away from what the OP is describing. A FAL has battle sights and what...a 20" radius if that? BPCR has precision sights and what...30+"?

I personally shoot a scope much better than irons. If you get a chance, check out the scores of the Leech Cup vs Wimbledon (Irons vs Any (glass or iron) at 1000 yards. RGRX could tell you better, but I can't think of a Wimbledon winner that used irons. Wimbledon scores are pretty consistently better than Leech too.

I remember Nancy Tompkins shooting the Rocky Mountain Palma Match (RMPM). There were some of the hardest of the hard iron's shooters there and Nancy won. JJ Conway was there shooting F-Class before it was popular, and his score beat Nancy's handily (I think he was like 80 at the time). In addition to glass, he also used a rest, so it wasn't a perfectly fair comparison.

Part of why I shoot glass better than irons is my vision. That's a no brainer. But the other part of it hasn't been described yet. With glass, I'm watching the wind in real time. No delay in going from spotting scope to sights than going through a shot process. With glass, I'm through my process and ready to break it when I see my condition. I can also hold off very precisely if I need to and break a shot quickly. RGRX and Rost probably can do the same with irons. But I can't.

Last edited by ChrisF; 02/27/13.