Originally Posted by Turpentine
Now to my questions. I managed to work up a very good load using 150 Accubonds, win cases, cci br2 , 46.6 grains of varget. Velocity avg. 2775. ES 6 SD 2. For several
three shot groups. Rl 15 at 46.5 grains with 150 sst average around 2780 but my
variation is much greater than with varget. My question is: doesnt this velocity seem
Awful low for these charges with a 26" tube? 51.5 grains of power pro will run 2840 but es and SD are all over the place with groups decent. I had some h4895 and decided to give it a try. 45.5 grains behind a 150 sst with 210m and win cases
Produced avg. Velocity of 2885 with es 13 and SD 7.group ok. No pressure signs whatsoever. Why am I getting so much more velocity from the h4895? From all my books and research, I would have thought one of the others would give better velocity. I plan to do a more extensive workup with the 4895 soon. I realize velocity isn't everything but 100 extra feet per sec with no more pressure and similar accuracy would be hard to pass up. I simply don't understand why my velocity with varget and rl15, even power pro 2000 mr are as low as they are from this length barrel. What could cause this? Big chamber? Long throat? Twist rate? Also, I back calculated my drop to verify the chronograph results and they confirmed the results. I'm very satisfied with the rifle. I've shot some very small groups with it. If it likes h 4895 then that's whAt I'll use. I'm simply confused by some of my findings and always eager to learn Something new. Any comments would be appreciated.

Don't understand you vel numbers either with a 26" barrel. A while back I had a TC Prohunter with a 28" barrel in 308, and with 48.0 gr RL-15 and 150 gr AB, it was good for a little over 3000 fps. Current 308 in a Rem 700 with a 23" tube is 100+ fps faster than you are seeing with 51.5 gr of 2000MR, 47.3 gr Varget is right around 2860 +/- in this gun. Double check your chrony, you should be getting better velocity. Ain't nuthin' wrong with H4895, mine really likes it with 130 gr TTSX.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."