Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The Brown pre-finished stocks I've had do show paint chipping very easily.

Not saying it just flakes off in your hand, but they do chip. My current one has some areas where paint came off. I haven't bought a pre-finished in several years but the ones I did buy all came with a bottle of touch up paint - kind of sends a message.

FWIW, the Remington FS stocks, which are Brown Precision stocks in a Remington-only pattern, have not shown that same tendency to chip. Perhaps they used a bit better quality of paint on those?

Jim,

I was curious as to whether the stocks that exhibited the chipping were finished by Brown, or done by others, until reading your post. If the Kevlar whiskers are not removed properly, could that be the cause of the problem? Strange that the factory pre-finished stocks chipped, but the same stocks for Remington did not.

One of our conservation officers up here has a Wolf synthetic on his Remington 308 Win Model 7 mountain rifle, and has had problems with it. He and I rebedded it three years ago, and it has been fine since, although the factory barrel has never shot as well as any of the Husqvarnas.

Ted